The Medical Director of the Transfer Center will play a significant role in improving the operational performance and clinical effectiveness of Dignity Health by developing and implementing medical management strategies and plans, including management of personnel and resources to support, contribute to and integrate within the organization’s annual business plan and long term strategy.
This position reports to the CPE of the Greater Sacramento Service Area.
Dignity Health and Sponsoring congregations are committed to furthering the healing ministry of Jesus. Resources are dedicated to: delivering compassionate, high-quality, affordable health services, serving and advocating for our sisters and brothers who are poor and disenfranchised, and collaborating with others in the community to improve the quality of life.
- Responsible for improving the coordination and optimization of care for patients in need of services at one or more of the Dignity Health hospitals in the GSSA. This coordination and optimization of care includes establishing effective and consistent utilization management processes especially for patients requiring localized, specialized, or complex services typically involving multiple hospitals or locations; transfer of patients into, out of, or within the GSSA; and/or multiple agencies or providers
- Responsible for engaging and developing physician participation and support of processes, guidelines, and protocols to facilitate optimal care of complex patients
- Work with Care Coordination leaders, hospital directors, and medical staff members to develop tools and resources to assist hospitals improve performance and achieve targets in key performance indicators including outcome measures, utilization measures, re-admissions and denials
- Develop and help the hospitals to implement physician practice analysis reports, reduce variation in practice and clinical documentation
- Identify, evaluate and / or create and implement systems, initiatives and processes to improve performance and outcomes in terms of Dignity Health goals, external benchmarks and regulatory requirements especially related to the care of complex patients described above
- Develop educational programs to address identified needs and will provide other onsite assistance working with hospital leadership to achieve individual hospital goals. This may include working with medical staff leadership to develop ad hoc and/or permanent committees to assess, monitor, and improve the care of complex patients described above
- Improve and maintain performance to achieve goals and ensure that Dignity Health is providing high quality healthcare
- Identify medical management best practices seeking information from a variety of internal and external sources
- Assist in the development of Dignity Health goals related to clinical efficiency and medical management; identify and communicate annual hospital benchmarks, goals and performance targets and metrics including strategies and identified best practices to achieve goals
- Assist hospitals evaluate operations relevant to medical management and hospital performance in implementing best practices and achieving goals
- Direct Medical Management resources and workflow to support Dignity Health goals
- Identify educational needs at the hospital related to Medical Management, current healthcare trends and evidence based medicine, healthcare trends, and changes in the federal programs including new laws and initiatives
- Develop and implement training and educational activities to assist care coordination leaders and medical staff improve performance
- Advise hospital-based medical staff and executive leadership regarding the effective implementation of methodologies to achieve best practices
- Design and implement measurement protocols and data collection processes for the purpose of identifying and improving utilization patterns, clinical practice improvement outcomes, and appropriateness of care
- Prepare requested analysis and drill-down of data in preparation for quarterly executive reports
- Serve as primary contact for hospitals with needs related to Medical Management issues particularly related to complex patients as described
- Identify the need for chart reviews or assessments, analyze findings, and make recommendations for specific actions or improvements projects to achieve agreed upon goals or improve operational effectiveness
- Provide onsite support for new Medical Management initiatives and follow-up regarding recommendations made to hospitals for assigned projects
Physician, M.D., D.O., Medical Director, Hospitalist, VPMA, Hospital, part time, Chief of Staff, Clinical Practice #MDLeader