Dignity Health Medical Foundation, established in 1993, is a California nonprofit public benefit corporation with care centers throughout California. Dignity Health Medical Foundation is an affiliate of Dignity Health - one of the largest health systems in the nation - with hospitals and care centers in California, Arizona and Nevada. Today, Dignity Health Medical Foundation works hand-in-hand with physicians and providers throughout California to provide comprehensive health care services to the many communities we serve.
As Dignity Health Medical Foundation continues to grow and establish new premier care centers, we provide increasing support and investment in the latest technologies, finest physicians and state-of-the-art medical facilities. We strive to create purposeful work settings where staff can provide great care, while advancing in knowledge and experience through challenging work assignments and stimulating relationships. Our staff is well-trained and highly skilled, qualities that are vital to maintaining excellence in care and service.
Dignity Health Medical Group – Dominican, a service of Dignity Health Medical Foundation, is committed to serving the continuing health care needs of Santa Cruz County. Supported by the rich community history Dominican Hospital, our doctors provide convenient, personalized care to patients throughout the region along the full continuum of care. We operate 18 clinics in Santa Cruz County and feature more than 70 providers with specialties including pediatrics, oncology and hematology, plastic and reconstructive surgery, gastroenterology, OB/GYN, urology, physical medicine and rehabilitation, and urgent care. Santa Cruz County is 70 miles south of San Francisco and boasts great surf, sandy beaches, redwood-covered mountains and more.
Under the direction of the physician, the Diabetes Educator is responsible for instructing individuals (outpatient and community members) concerning their condition, general health management and nutrition, and distribution of diabetic educational literature. Provides information that is relevant to coping with illness, promoting recovery to healthful living and effectively involving the consumer in his/her health care decisions.
Responsibilities may include:
- In accordance with the National Scope and Standards of Diabetes Education, as well as the National Standards for Diabetes Education, the Diabetes Nurse Educator assesses the needs of patients with diabetes and designs, implements and evaluates an individualized teaching plan for these patients. Knowledgeable in all aspects of diabetes care, and acts as resource for patients, community, and the organization's personnel. Integrates knowledge, skills, and experience to meet the multifaceted needs of diabetes patients and families throughout the continuum of care.
- Plans, develops and implements new programs to meet the needs of the patient population and enhance diabetes self-management education within Organization. Participates in activities that promote and expand the reputation and the services of the Clinic.
- Interacts with interdisciplinary team of health professionals. Communicates effectively and works cooperatively with other team members. Utilizes the unique contributions of each discipline, and applies an integrated team approach to improve patient outcomes.
- Utilizes standards, and evidenced based practice for delivery of care and education. Incorporates new data and learning to continuously enhance patient outcomes. Applies quality improvement methodology to improve overall diabetes services.
- Ensures improvements in diabetes practice by assuming responsibility for self-development in life-long learning. Provides direction and guidance to others regarding practice, serves as a resource, preceptor, and mentor. Leadership skills demonstrated in decision making and problem solving.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Clear and current CA RN license
- Three to five (3-5) years of clinical nursing experience. Experience in Diabetes self-management education.
- BS in nursing or related field. CDE within 1 year of hire or 500 hours of direct diabetes education within the last 2 years.
- Membership in local professional organizations.
- Ability to work independently, set priorities and manage work within timeframe, read and analyze technical material, communicate effectively verbally and in writing, positive mental attitude.
- Strong customer service orientation and the ability to handle highly confidential information essential.
- Must be computer literate.
- 5 years of clinical nursing experience.
- Certified Diabetes Educator.
Keywords: Ob/Gyn, Ob, Obstetrics/Gynecology, diabetes, CDE, certified diabetes educator, disease management, nurse, RN, registered nurse, staff nurse, santa cruz, capitola, aptos, watsonville, SF, Bay, san francisco bay area, endo, endocrinology
Not ready to apply, or can't find a relevant opportunity?
Join one of our Talent Communities to learn more about a career at Dignity Health and experience #humankindness.