The Arizona Care Network (ACN) is a clinically integrated physician network and is a Dignity Health and Abrazo Health physician collaboration. The Behavioral Health Coach reports to the ACN Program Director for Behavioral Health and is an employee of Inland Health Organization of Southern California, Inc., doing business as MedProVidex, a physician support organization owned by Dignity Health.
The Behavioral Health Coach is an important clinical participant in the Integrated Teamlet Model for practice transformation. They help members navigate, communicate and advocate for their health needs, and assist with health self-management activities. Behavioral Health Coaches help members develop a self-management plan that is individualized, strength and recovery based. Thinking critically, the Behavioral Health Coach should have strong proficiency in cultural competency and written communication/computer skills.
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serves as the primary point of contact for a member who is identified as having multiple high- risk medical and behavioral health conditions.
- Partners with clinicians to provide member care coordination, advocacy, health literacy, and care planning within a clinical practice setting.
- Facilitates member coordination with provider network organizations, community organizations and agencies that serve members with high risk/high needs, and provides timely and accurate reporting and communications.
- Documents problems, assessments, and/or interventions, and promotes ease of access to a continuum of care through appropriate information and referral.
- Experience administering evidenced based screening tools for assessment of behavioral health and substance abuse conditions.
- Assists members with health prevention, promotion and wellness activities by providing one on one coaching using a variety of communication strategies including motivational interviewing.
- Screens members using targeted intervention business rules and processes to identify needed medical services, makes appropriate referrals to medical services staff, and coordinates the required services in accordance with their health benefit program.
- Demonstrates knowledge of evidenced based care of chronic medical and behavioral health conditions. Applies this knowledge to coach members toward adherence and improvement.
- Provides support services to practice by answering telephone calls, taking messages, researching information and assisting in solving problems.
- Assists in the coordination of post-hospital discharge planning, care coordination and wellness activities for prevention of readmissions and emergency department utilization.
- All other duties as assigned.
COMPETENCIES & SKILL
- Strong belief in the principles of Integrated Care.
- Strong negotiation skills, including proficiency in Motivational Interviewing and other therapeutic techniques.
- Superior community resource knowledge, including knowledge of systems supporting members with serious mental illness.
- Ability to effectively work cross functionally with interdisciplinary teams both inside and outside of the practice organization.
- Familiarity and ability to teach medical terminology and concepts used in practice management.
- Proficiency in written communication, including ability to perform medical transcription.
- Computer literacy in order to navigate through electronic medical record, internal/external computer systems, including Excel and Microsoft Word.
- Understanding of the benefits of evaluation and ability to provide supporting agencies with data and resources requested.
- Professional boundaries with members.
- Superior time management skills, and able to manage and prioritize several high priorities at once.
- Experience in scribing in a medical records or proper clinical note taking.