The Dignity Health Legal Department (“Legal Department”) is responsible for the provision of legal services to, and for the management of the legal affairs of, Dignity Health and Dignity Community Care and their hospitals, subsidiaries and affiliated businesses (“Dignity Health”). The Corporate Counsel/Client Service Leader – Operations (“Corporate Counsel”):
- Serves as a member of the Legal Team;
- Is a team member and integral part of the Operations Group, the functional division of the Legal Department that primarily supports Dignity Health’s Operations (defined below);
- Reports to and performs services under the direction and supervision of the Vice President and Associate General Counsel – Operations (“AGC-Operations”) or his/her delegate; and
- Provides quality legal services and effective legal counsel in support of Dignity Health’s hospital, ambulatory, health care, physician and other business operations (“Operations”) described in this Position Description in a manner consistent with Dignity Health’s Mission and Core Values.
In addition, the Corporate Counsel serves as the Client Service Leader (“CSL”) for designated Dignity Health hospitals. As CSL for the Service Area, the Corporate Counsel – CSL will work with Senior Management on hospital and Service Area-wide initiatives. The Corporate Counsel – CSL will work collaboratively with other Corporate Counsel – CSLs.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES & ACCOUNTABILITIES
The Corporate Counsel will have the following key duties, responsibilities and accountabilities:
- To perform legal services for, represent and support Dignity Health with regard to Operations under the direction and supervision of the AGC-Operations, including, without limitation, matters related to hospital/health care operations; physician contracting; medical staff and peer review; patient and clinical care; patient consents; business and non-physician contracting; corporate, commercial, physician and business transactions (including the purchase, sale, lease and/or other transactions involving hospitals, ancillary or ambulatory health services, major equipment, physician organizations or medical groups, and health care operations); loans and financing transactions; the formation, operations and dissolution of joint ventures and other business organizations; legal/regulatory and compliance; licensure, certification and accreditation; health care privacy/security; clinical research; and internal investigations.
- To act as a legal counselor/advisor and business partner for Dignity Health’s Service Area Presidents/Senior Vice Presidents-Operations, Hospital Presidents and other members of the Hospitals’ senior management teams, with a particular focus on the role as CSL for the assigned Service Area(s) and hospitals, and for senior management of Dignity Health’s corporate functions, on operational, business, strategic and legal matters relevant to Operations.
- To develop and/or enhance the Corporate Counsel’s expertise, and for the Corporate Counsel to be or become a subject matter expert, in specific legal, legislative, regulatory or health care topics, issues or arrangements relevant to Operations or the other corporate functional areas supported by the Legal Department. In this regard, the Corporate Counsel will participate as a member of one or more “Centers of Excellence” or “Service Centers” maintained by the Legal Department based on his/her subject matter expertise.
- To oversee and manage litigation, administrative proceedings and other regulatory (including licensure and certification) proceedings or matters arising out of or related to Operations as requested or assigned from time to time, including the management of outside counsel engaged to represent Dignity Health in the litigation or proceeding.
- To oversee, manage and work collaboratively on matters assigned to outside counsel engaged to represent or assist Dignity Health, including review, direction and supervision of outside counsel’s legal work.
- To participate on projects or matters related to the management and administration of the Legal Department as requested from time to time by the General Counsel (“GC”), the AGC-Operations, and/or other leaders.
- To supervise, direct, manage and work collaboratively with the paralegals, executive coordinators, and other non-attorney staff assigned to work regularly or on specific projects with the Corporate Counsel consistent with Dignity Health’s Core Values.
- To travel throughout Dignity Health as required to perform the duties and responsibilities of the Corporate Counsel described in this Position Description.
- To personally develop and/or satisfy the Corporate Counsel Legal Competencies accompanying this Position Description.
- To support the Legal Department proactively, both internally within the Legal Department and externally throughout Dignity Health, in the course and scope of the performance of the Corporate Counsel’s duties and responsibilities.
- To communicate frequently with the AGC-Operations on matters critical to the Corporate Counsel’s duties and responsibilities, the Legal Department and Dignity Health generally.
- To maintain excellent relationships, work collaboratively and engage in regular communication with the GC, other AGCs, the Legal Department’s other attorneys, paralegals, executive coordinators and other non-attorney staff.
- To (i) manifest a commitment to Dignity Health’s Mission and Core Values, (ii) act and demonstrate behavior consistent with the Dignity Health’s Core Values in fulfilling the duties and responsibilities described in this Position Description, and (iii) contribute to a positive working environment in the Legal Department for all employees.